Smudging is a process you can use to clear your home or yourself of low or negative energies. Smudging, when done the right way, clears your mind and space of any negativity. It should be done regularly to maintain high and positive vibes.
When to smudge
Some ideal (or necessary) times to smudge your aura and/or space would be:
- When you move into a new living space
- When you begin a new job or start your own business
- Before and after a guest enters your home
- Before and after a healing session
- Before meditation
- After an argument or any illness
- Upon returning home from crowded situations
- Anytime you feel like you need to release some heavy energy
How to smudge your home
- Physically, before beginning smudging, make sure to remove all metal objects on your body that do not have a spiritual significance like your belts and watches. Close all the doors and windows that lead outdoors, turn your phone off, remove any pets and make sure you are alone in the house.
- Mentally, you should be in a present and peaceful state of mind before smudging. So if you need to you should meditate, take a walk or do whatever you need to relax before starting.
- You will need a smudge stick or some type of dried cleansing herbs to burn over a charcoal or other heatproof dish (sage, sandalwood, myrrh, frankincense etc.). You can also use palo santo for smudging.
- Use some matches to light the herbs up. Once you have a nice smoke going, use your hand or a feather to direct the smoke over your body from your feet up to your head, then back down again. As you do this, visualize the smoke taking away with it any negative energy or thoughts.
- Make sure your house is clean and tidy before starting. Start at the front door, light your smudge stick and call on Archangel Michael and any guides, angels, divinities that you feel will help you. I usually call on Archangel Michael or the god Anubis. I ask them to clear the space of any spirits or entities that are low vibes or to cross over any lost or confused souls that haven’t passed on to the light. I then ask them to protect the space as I smudge and after.
- Walk around your home, room by room, ending back at the front door (in this way you are rounding up and jarring out any unhealthy energies out the front door).
- Use your hand or feather to motion the smoke around the space in each room. Ensure you wave the smoke in every corner of every room, in large cupboards, wardrobes and under the bed.
- As you walk around your house know that any unwanted energies are being cleared from your space. Visualise the rooms being filled with white or gold light and positive energy as the smoke fills up the room.
- You can announce your intentions in each room or in your head but affirm the type of energy you are wanting to grow and create within your home. For example “May this home be filled with love and light and positivity. All energies of the light and any spirits who are here for my highest good, including my ascended ancestors, are welcome here to share their love, light and wisdom”.
- Know that this is your space and that you have the final say over who is allowed to come and go and who is welcome to stay.
- As you smudge, acknowledge that there is only one exit and entrance in your home and that this is the entrance that you are beginning and ending your cleansing work with today. All other doorways that lead outside , including windows, are now sealed.
- Then once you return to front door, walk out of the house and several steps beyond the door. Tell any spirit to leave now never to return again – don’t leave them on the doorstep.
- When you are done, open doors and windows and allow fresh air and light into the house to reinforce what you have just done. I also light a white candle and spray some essential oils in each room.