Using a pendulum is an age old practice spanning through the ages. Pendulums can be used to tap into our subconscious thus helping us to access our inner guidance and communicate with other realms. Pendulums can be made from different materials. For example you can use a simple necklace with a crystal or charm at the end of it. If you make it this way, ensure that the weighted item at the end is not too light or too heavy. It should weigh less than half an ounce. The best shape for the weight is something that can come to a “point”. The best length for the pendulum is about six inches.
It is important to be calm and centred before starting to work with your pendulum. You can use a simple centering meditation to begin. Start by paying attention to your breathing. Breath in and out deeply and calmly and clear your mind of any thoughts. Imagine yourself in your favourite place, such as the beach or park. Visualize yourself sitting peacefully and observing your surroundings. If any thoughts come to mind imagine them transforming into clouds and disappearing over the horizon. Keep breathing deeply and when you feel relaxed and centred you can begin working with your pendulum. As you get more used to your pendulum this will become easier and easier.
Get your mind ready
- Do a calming meditation
- Make sure you are in a quiet space
- Relax and focus
- Clear your mind of any worries
- Remove any internal or external noise
Position yourself and your pendulum
- Sit up straight with both feet flat on the ground
- Grasp the top bead or fob between your thumb and forefinger or if you prefer, you can grasp anywhere along the chain, as long as you leave at least 5-8cm between your fingers and the pendulum’s weight stone
- Arch your wrist slightly, steady your forearm (not your hand) on something solid, like the edge of a table or arm of a chair
- Let the pendulum just dangle. Try to hold very still, but don’t worry if your hand shakes a little, it won’t affect the outcome
Discover your pendulum’s signals
- You should only need to do this step once with each pendulum you use
- Before starting to ask any questions you must establish signals for each of these answers – YES/NO/MAYBE
- You need to ask the pendulum to “show me yes” and then watch the movement of the pendulum. Then once you are confident with what the movement ask it “show me no”, then “show me maybe”
- Your pendulum will do one of the following
- Front to back (like a head nod – common for “yes”)
- Side to side (like a head shake – common for “no”)
- Clockwise circle
- Counter-clockwise circle
Verify the signals
- To test out your signals it is a good idea to ask a couple of test questions, such as “Is my name Sophia?”, or “Is today Wednesday?”. Basically, you want to verify that yes is a yes and no is a no
- If the signals are not coming out right, repeat the previous step
Program your pendulum’s source
- Every time you use your pendulum it is a good idea to establish where the answers will come from
- If you skip this step, your pendulum may only access your subconscious mind for the answers. You really want it to tap into your intuitive self or higher self as well.
- At the beginning of each session, say “I call upon my higher self to answer these questions. I seek only absolutely truthful answers, which are in alignment with my highest good and the highest and greatest good for all concerned”
- You can also clear the energy around you first by smudging your space and asking your angels to protect the space to ensure non interference before using the pendulum
Ask Your Question
- Ask questions that can be answered with Yes or No or Maybe only. Be as specific as you can
- Avoid asking for opinions or using the words “should”, “supposed to” in your questions
- Be patient. Concentrate on your questions (closing your eyes can help) but do not concentrate on what you think the answer should or will be
- Remain detached about the answer and focus only on receiving a correct, unbiased answer
- When the pendulum swings, look at it and observe its direction. This is your answer
- If it doesn’t move right away, give it time, or if it’s unclear what the signal is, try rephrasing the question and do it again.
- When the pendulum swings with great force, its answering loudly
- If it swings with only a light force, you can interpret this as a quiet, perhaps less committed response
Centre the pendulum before the next question
At the end of each question touch the pendulum’s weight to stop it moving and re-centre it. This signals that your questions has been answered and you are ready to move on to the next question.
- Relax and enjoy the connection
- Be open, neutral and do not try to predict answers
- Be very clear and specific in the way you phrase your questions
- Be patient and present
- To get a stronger response say “respond louder please” or “please be more clear”
- Cup your other hand underneath the point or weight stone to help focus energy
- Protect your pendulum when not in use
Some sample questions…
- Is it in my best interest to buy this item?
- Will I enjoy the stories in this book?
- Will it rain in Sydney tomorrow?
- Is this a healthy food choice for me to eat at this time? (ask while holding pendulum over the food)
- Is it in my best interest to attend the concert tomorrow night?